Lisa Taylor is designer and founder of Taylored Threads, an Adaptive Fashion brand catering to women who travel in urban environments and desire to maintain their stylish appearance. This blog is inspiration, design and pieces constructed by Lisa. Please contribute and enjoy!
This guy is from the archives. He’s a rhino bike decoration I made for an event called Bike Party in San Francisco. The theme was Animal Kingdom and folks were encouraged to dress like animals.
Chris wanted to be more incognito and have his bike be the animal, so I fastened together a rhino made from a cardboard box, heavy duty tape, and 1/8” thick eco-felt mostly held together with fabric hot glue.
What I’ve Made This Month
So it’s been a long week- several weeks, a month in fact, since I’ve posted an update on my garment creation. So here are the things I’ve made in the month of November.
1. Denim pockets: 3 total, each with a variation on the seams
-flat-felled seams: used for other little do-dads- these aren’t very apparent in the photos
-white double needle seam with a button: used for transporting my bias-cut dress to sew while on Thanksgiving vacation.
-Gold zipper on top pouch. This is my daily pocket for everything that typically floats in my backpack: pens, lip gloss, scissors, glue, mints, coin purse, etc.
2. Borrowing from the past dress. I bought this great dress from Superior Thrift in Stockton and thought I would wear it.It was a vintage cut, probably from the 80’s or early 90’s, floor length with buttons down the front, like this:
Since it’s been sitting in my closet for a year, I bought a pattern and deconstructed the dress with hopes of using the fabric in a new, more wearable format. This one’s from a pattern, however I’ve added a peplum for some extra flair.
3. Bias-cut dress: here’s my favorite. I’ve spent about 4 weeks on this design. The assignment was to drape a dress using a great fabric. I selected a faille from my collection that’s a medium brown- kind of a cappuccino color with a burnt orange variation from being stored near sunshine. It adds a nice look to the fabric.
I spent 2 weeks draping the dress after defining the bias line- the diagonal grain of fabric that allows for the silhouette of the body to be exposed due to a nice drape. Here are some ideas I initially thought about.
I finally landed on a floor length design with cowls on the backside, an interesting back shape.
The front has a high neckline with cowls on center front and the left side of the garment uniting the front and back pieces, which opens up to a slit on the side.
The backside allows the wearer to step into the garment by removing the triangle flap from the buttons on either side of center back.
The seams were mostly hand-stitched to ensure a clean look for the wearer. Now, I need to find a warm beach to wear this. :)